strategic, lean oriented, data-driven, critical thinker
I am a strategic marketer, numbers quant and technology visionary with a passion for early stage business development,brand positioning, evidence based marketing, product innovation, and social impact.
I am searching for a key marketing position inside an organization that is (or wants to be) visionary, highly strategic, and on the cutting edge of marketing and technology. I have a particular interest in leveraging the value of data, and the application of machine learning, and data science more broadly.
Marketing Strategist | Agency B
New York, NY | August 2017 – present
I founded Agency B as a launchpad LLC for freelance and project work serving as a fractional CMO for funded startups and incubators. (see following for examples)
- Marketing strategy development – positioning, brand, channel, and pricing
- Campaign planning, crowd resourcing, and project management
- ROI modeling, campaign testing and full-funnel conversion optimization
Chief Marketing Officer | Brainpower Capital
New York, NY | October 2017 – present
Brainpower Capital is a collaboration of serial entrepreneurs, medical professionals, and organizations working together to reshape the future of healthcare.
- For nutraceutical product led collaborative development of competitive positioning and brand strategy
- With founder, developed new product – Prolimbic 29® brand assets, packaging, and launch plan
- Translated strategy into financial model and investor presentation resulting in successful seed funding
Senior Fellow | Social Enterprise Institute
Elizabethtown, PA | October 2017 – present
The Social Enterprises Institute at Elizabethtown College serves businesses that exist to fulfill a specific social need while operating profitably, at the same time, making a measurable, sustainable difference in individual lives.
- Subject matter expert for startup marketing strategy
- Assist, as needed, social enterprises in competitive positioning and brand strategy, IP commercialization, distribution, pricing, business modeling
- Financial modeling, quantification of Social Return on Investment
Marketing Director | Lumenictics, Microsun
New York, NY | March 2010 – August, 2017
Worked directly for private investor providing marketing strategic development and campaign management. Served as Marketing Director for two lighting companies – Lumenistics, a innovative B2B commercial lighting consultancy, and Microsun Lamps, a B2C manufacturer and ecommerce and Amazon merchant.
- Instrumental in development of a competitive positioning strategy resulting in a high-margin consulting approach in in a large, low tech, low margin industry
- Marketing planning and execution of B2B lead generation, webinar qualification, sales team support, CRM, and sales collateral.
- Sourced investment opportunities and developed standardized financial models leading to solid buy and pass investment decisions
- Rebranded consumer product and developed all aspects of end-to-end B2C ecommerce, accounting, and fulfillment systems including Amazon store
- Deployed and gained expertise in Woocommerce, Google Tag Manager, GSuite, LeadForensics, Hubspot, Facebook Business Manager, Infusionsoft, RapidMiner
Ecommerce Director | Giddyup Partners
Portland, ME | May 2007 – August, 2010
Giddyup Business Development Partners provided ecommerce development and inbound traffic generation services to early ecommerce businesses.
- Internal development – applied messaging mastery – an in-house optimization methodology using a crowdsourced network of extraordinary expertise. Developed a project management process called insanely intense execution
- Made extensive use of WordPress, early deployments of Google Analytics, Shopify, Magento, Omniture, NexTag, and other early marketing tech.
- Salesforce.com deployment for Chicago based financial services company
Web Developer / Digital Marketer | Baier Corp
Chicago, IL | 1998 – 2007
Freelanced as a web application developer, systems integrator, and technical project lead. Worked with Chicago and New York based marketing agencies and in concert with strategic, customer-facing project consultants.
- Deployed early agile methodology called DSDM
- Bridged role of end-user requirements and technical and creative execution to ensure products meet client expectations.
- Deployed and managed email marketing using ExactTarget integrated with Salesforce.com.
National Sales Manager | American Information Systems
Chicago, IL | 1995 – 1998
AIS was Chicago’s first and eventually largest Internet Service Provider when it was acquired in 1998 by Exodus Communications.
- I was a very early hire and wore many hats which earned me nickname one man wrecking crew.
- Learned web development, server scripting, and served as webmaster for clients opting for Microsoft’s newly released IIS web server.
- Post funding, I was moved to National sales manager and hired, trained, mentored a team of eight salespeople. Was responsible for rapid growth of three revenue streams – development, managed network services, and consumer dial-up.
- Remained in upper management through the sale of company in 2008 to Exodus Communications.
University of Southern Maine
Bachelor of Science | Business Administration | 2007
- Graduated in 2007 with a 3.8 GPA
- Team leader for capstone project coordinated by J. Walter Thompson and New England Ford Dealers to launch the new Ford Fusion
- Internship Maine Center for Enterprise Development incubator and the Environment & Energy Tech Council of Maine (E2Tech)
- Post graduate studies in Applied Statistical Analysis
Certifications & Additional Education
- Galvanize NYC: IBM Cognitive Builder Course on Watson
- Udemy: Machine Learning A-Z in Python & R
- Udemy: Data Analysis with Pandas & Python
- Fundamentals of Lighting, Illuminating Engineering Society Of North America
Honors, Awards and Organizations
- USM School of Business – Winner of annual business plan competition
- Finalist at Galvanize NYC Data Science Hackathon
- Member of National and New York Chapters of the American Marketing Association
- Science, Math & Technology discovery
- NYC Street and Portrait Photography
- Gourmet cooking (and eating)
- Canine Rescue Foster Parent
- Business Development: I am very comfortable prospecting strategic partnerships, identifying synergies, and crafting a compelling, numbers-based proposals, building and delivering presentations.
- Front office software: high proficiency in front office applications in both Microsoft Office and Google GSuite. In particular a depth of expertise modelling, analysis, programming and integrating Excel and Google Sheets.
- HR: Experience writing and posting positions and screening candidates.
- Creative: Adobe Creative Suite proficiency (Lr, Ps, Id, Ai), product and portrait photography
- Corporate financial analysis: Over ten years building financial models using complex functions, macros, API level scripting, and third-party integrations.
- Programming and Data Science: And most recently have achieved functional knowledge of Python, numpy, matplotlib, and especially pandas. Online training in Machine Learning and familiarity with scikit-learn and beautifulsoup. Vendor training on cloud services and current developer accounts and web and command line familiarity with AWS, Google Cloud, and IBM Cloud and Watson.
- Nerd Alert: very comfortable on the bash shell command line, version control, remote libraries, server management and the 80/20 of SQL
- Web Application Development: Since 1995 I’ve developed, administered, automated, integrated, and promoted over a hundred websites, web applications, ecommerce stores
- Traditional Media / Data Science: Developed a proprietary direct-response print advertising performance measurement and optimization tool and training data repository using Google BigQuery, Python and Google Sheets.
- Financial Modeling / Excel and Sheets: Have crafted and customized financial models for dozens of operating companies and startups
- B2B Lead Gen / Data Mining: Built a custom sales lead database of individual commercial property owners datamined from multiple public & commercial sources
- Evidence Based Marketing / Funnel Optimization: Developed and implemented a proprietary tool to measure and manage full-funnel conversion optimization experiments
- Business and Marketing Strategy and Planning: Have written almost a dozen complete business plans, marketing plans, and advised and led many businesses through top-down marketing strategy.